The mission of Covenant Care and Covenant Living is to “continue the healing ministry of Jesus by serving with compassion, upholding the sacredness of life in all stages, and caring for the whole person – body, mind and soul.” In fulfillment of this mission, Covenant Care and Covenant Living actively participate in advancing the Covenant Strategic Plan which aspires to:
- Serve – we will strengthen our mission and live our values to meet the needs of those we serve through excellence in care, an engaged team, and wise use of our resources;
- Grow – we will see out and respond to the needs of our communities, especially the vulnerable and marginalized populations;
- Transform – we will create systems of care that enable people and communities to be healthy; and
- Contribute – we will leverage our legacy to maximize the strategic contribution of Catholic health care.
Reporting to the Site Leader, the Occupational Therapist will collaborate with the interdisciplinary team and provide direct provide resident focused therapeutic care and programming. The Occupational Therapist can delegate components of the therapeutic care plan to the Occupational Aide or Health Care Aides when safe and appropriate if the Occupational Therapist has provided the other staff members with the direction and supervision they require. The incumbent also acts as a role model and ambassador for the mission, vision, and values of Covenant Care.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Occupational Therapist has the following key accountabilities:
- Occupational Program Design, Implementation and Evaluation:
- Oversees the overall delivery of person centered resident focused care and day-to-day operation and coordination of the occupational services.
- Coordinates the development and implementation of occupational practice guidelines, policies and procedures and works with the Staff Educator to ensure education of occupational staff.
- Meets regularly with residents and family members to promote ongoing communication and follows up resident/family concerns in a timely manner; brings unresolved or reportable incidents to the attention of the Site Leader.
- Completes assessments in a timely manner occupational therapy programs for all residents as required.
- Develops goals with the residents and their families and incorporates these goals into the treatment plan and residents’ care plan.
- Effectively addresses changes in resident function and abilities.
- Provides professional leadership and mentorship to occupational team members ensuring resident centered programming. This could include doing related in-services for staff.
- Orientates new occupational aides to individualized resident centred activities and ensures all aspects or purpose of each. For each end result, the required tasks should be described.
- Evaluates occupational therapy activities and programming to ensure regulations, policies, procedures, guidelines and protocols and provincial standards are being met.
- Collaborates with the Site Leader and Human Resources Management for recruitment, retention, discipline, investigations, performance development, terminations, and delegations as appropriate, all in accordance with active collective agreements when applicable.
- Follows up and develops a plan of action with staff who are not meeting expectations related to recreation services, working as an effective team member or has attendance issues in collaboration with the Site Leader.
- Assists with resident meals and meaningful activities when possible.
- Promotes the concept that it is everyone’s job to engage with residents to help each person have the best day possible.
- Supports the Leadership Team with resident admissions and resident/family care conferences in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team.
- Acts as a good steward by using resources responsibly and operates within allocated program resources.
- Ensures information related to the residents OT needs/activities is documented on the resident electronic health record.
- Quality Improvement Activities and Reporting:
- Fosters an environment of person centered care and ongoing quality and safety improvements
- Promotes a holistic approach to care that encourages residents to set and reach personal goals for meaning and purpose in life.
- Supports site-based Quality Improvement Initiatives including Butterfly Home, Appropriate Use of Antipsychotics and other organizational initiatives.
- Ensures incidents are identified, followed through, documented and reported to Site Leader.
- Manages resident/family concerns and brings unresolved complaints and critical incidents to attention of the Clinical Lead.
- Ensures that all incident reports are completed including follow-up and appropriate action plans occur as well as communication back to the care team
- Stays current on industry trends, policy and best practice.
- Assists in the development and roll out of organizational occupational therapy services policies and procedures.
- Monitors occupational reporting systems: completes and submits monthly and quarterly Quality Improvement audits and reports arising from the reporting systems if required.
- Develops action plans related to Occupational Therapy to address concerns identified in satisfaction surveys.
- Provides ongoing reports through the electronic health record that drive quality improvements.
- Collaboration and Partnerships:
- Exhibits leadership and support as a member of the Leadership Team.
- Fosters and maintains effective interactions and relationships with peers, supervisors, managers, Alberta Health Services partners, residents, families, physicians, volunteers, contractors, and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Participates in site-based audits with CCHSS, Accommodation Standards, Accreditation, etc.
- Attends and participates in resident/family counsel.
- Attends site committee meetings when applicable.
- Fosters an environment of person centered care with ongoing quality and safety improvements
- Develops good working relationships with all staff and works closely with the interdisciplinary team.
- Promotes professional growth and education for all staff.