The mission of Covenant Care and Covenant Living is to “continue the healing ministry of Jesus by serving with compassion, upholding the sacredness of life in all stages, and caring for the whole person – body, mind and soul.” In fulfillment of this mission, Covenant Care and Covenant Living actively participate in advancing the Covenant Strategic Plan which aspires to:
• Serve – we will strengthen our mission and live our values to meet the needs of those we serve through excellence in care, an engaged team, and wise use of our resources;
• Grow – we will see out and respond to the needs of our communities, especially the vulnerable and marginalized populations;
• Transform – we will create systems of care that enable people and communities to be healthy; and
• Contribute – we will leverage our legacy to maximize the strategic contribution of Catholic health care.
Reporting to the Site Leader, the Social Worker will provide support related to the residents psycho-social and spiritual needs for residents and their families during their stay at Villa Marie. The Social Worker will promote resident choice, independence and individuality. The role can also include mediation, negotiation, conflict resolution and information sharing to facilitate decision making. The incumbent also acts as a role model and ambassador for the mission, vision, and values of Covenant Care.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Social Worker has the following key accountabilities:
1. Social Work Program Design, Implementation and Evaluation:
• Oversees the overall delivery of person centered resident focused care and day-to-day operation and coordination of the social work services.
• Coordinates the development and implementation of social work practice guidelines, policies and procedures.
• Meets regularly with residents and family members to promote ongoing communication and follows up resident/family concerns in a timely manner; brings unresolved or reportable incidents to the attention of the Site Leader.
• Provides assessment, evaluation of outcomes, care planning, support, education and information for residents and their families.
• Develops goals with resident and family input.
• Effectively addresses changes in resident’s social wellness
• Provides professional leadership and mentorship to team members ensuring resident centered care related to their pyscho-social and spiritual needs and values. Evaluates the social work program to ensure regulations, policies, procedures, guidelines and protocols and provincial standards are being met.
• Assists with resident meals and meaningful activities when possible.
• Promotes the concept that it is everyone’s job to engage with residents to help each person have the best day possible.
• Supports the Leadership Team with resident admissions and resident/family care conferences in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team.
• Acts as a good steward by using resources responsibly and operates within allocated program resources.
• Ensures information related to resident and any social work activity is documented on the resident electronic health record.
• Advocates for the needs, decisions and rights of the residents and families.
• Builds and maintains therapeutic relationships and provides counselling and crisis intervention when required.
• Engages all parties in a collaborative process related to ethical issues.
2. Quality Improvement Activities and Reporting:
• Fosters an environment of person centered care and ongoing quality and safety improvements
• Promotes a holistic approach to care that encourages residents to set and reach personal goals for meaning and purpose in life.
• Supports site-based Quality Improvement Initiatives including Butterfly Home, Appropriate Use of Antipsychotics and other organizational initiatives.
• Ensures incidents are identified, followed through, documented and reported to Site Leader.
• Manages resident/family concerns and brings unresolved complaints and critical incidents to attention of the Site Leader.
• Stays current on industry trends, policy and best practice.
• Assists in the development and roll out of organizational services policies and procedures.
• Completes and submits monthly and quarterly Quality Improvement audits and reports arising from the reporting systems if required.
• Assists with satisfaction surveys of residents, family members and staff, reviews survey results and assists with the development of action plans to address concerns identified in the surveys.
• Provides ongoing reports through the electronic health record that drive quality improvements.
3. Collaboration and Partnerships:
• Exhibits leadership and support as a member of the Leadership Team.
• Fosters and maintains effective interactions and relationships with peers, supervisors, managers, Alberta Health Services partners, residents, families, physicians, volunteers, contractors, and other internal and external stakeholders.
• Participates in site-based audits with CCHSS, Accommodation Standards, Accreditation, etc.
• Attends site committee meetings when applicable.
• Fosters an environment of person centered care with ongoing quality and safety improvements
• Develops good working relationships with all staff and works closely with the interdisciplinary team.
• Promotes professional growth and education for all staff. This may include providing in-services for staff and/or families.
• Seeks ongoing feedback from Site Leader, multi-disciplinary team as well as residents and families.
• Promotes safe environments for residents, families and staff.
• Ensures compliance and provides support to the Covenant Care Health and Safety Team.
• Maintains a high level of confidentiality of personal and medical information of residents, families and staff.
• Performs other duties as assigned.