The mission of Covenant Care and Covenant Living is to “continue the healing ministry of Jesus by serving with compassion, upholding the sacredness of life in all stages, and caring for the whole person – body, mind and soul.” In fulfillment of this mission, Covenant Care and Covenant Living actively participate in advancing the Covenant Strategic Plan which aspires to:
- Serve – we will strengthen our mission and live our values to meet the needs of those we serve through excellence in care, an engaged team, and wise use of our resources;
- Grow – we will see out and respond to the needs of our communities, especially the vulnerable and marginalized populations;
- Transform – we will create systems of care that enable people and communities to be healthy; and
- Contribute – we will leverage our legacy to maximize the strategic contribution of Catholic health care.
The Resident Experience Director (RED), plays a key leadership role in advancing Covenant’s Strategic Plan. Reporting to the Vice President, Resident Experience, this position provides operational oversight to assigned sites and programs in partnership with the Resident Experience Drector located in Calgary along with leadership across Covenant Care and Covenant Living.
The Resident Experience Director is responsible to lead and support clinical operations in supportive living, hospice and long term care settings. The role provides supports and guides the clinical leadership and monitors key metrics. The RED partners with all Covenant Care sites and programs to ensure the resident experience is aligned with Covenant’s mission, vision and values, and balanced with industry contracts and standards. The RED will promote best practices and drive operational quality, safety, consistency and excellence and function as a mentor and subject matter expert working closely with senior leadership.
The RED assures the excellent reputation of Covenant Care and Covenant Living as an ethical and high quality service provider. Responsible for overseeing operations including quality of care, safety, financial performance, and employee engagement. This position works in partnership with another Resident Experience Director located in Calgary.
While this job is primarily based in Edmonton, the successful candidate will be expected to frequently travel within Alberta to the Covenant Care and Covenant Living communities.
- Understands and embraces service to our residents, encouraging the delivery of innovative and supportive care and service by staff
- Demonstrates role modeling of the Mission, Vision and Values in daily interactions with staff/ residents/ families and volunteers
- Provides leadership and direction to all site based leadership staff, and holds a formal means of accountability for assigned sites and Site Administrators.
- Oversees operational and financial activities and management of multiple sites and programs.
- Develops, implements and attends internal committees.
- Actively develops leaders, managers and teams. Actively works at developing a culture of engagement for all employees.
- Ensures works plans, aligned with strategic goals, are in place and establishes performance expectations for Site Administrators.
- Provides leadership to clinical service excellence.
- Ensures the completeness, accessibility and utilization of approved clinical policies and practices;
- Collaborates on the development and implementation of a balanced quality and safety framework.
- Ensures performance issues are addressed in a timely manner.
- Understands and ensures adherence to AHS Service Level Agreements.
- Establishes healthy working relationships with funding partners in all zones and participates on applicable AHS committees.
- Facilitates and oversees the investigation of escalated issues and concerns and provides leadership throughout the process.
- Represents Covenant Care through community engagement activities.
- Covers for Site Administrators as directed by Senior Management.
- Participates in the development of site based budgets.
- Works cooperatively with all departments of the Covenant family and provides required reporting as needed or requested.
- Initiates and ensures timely communication and reporting to VP of Resident Experience and Site Administrators.
- Participates in negotiating agreements with unions, contractors, consultants, and providers of services.
- Participates at the appropriate level in grievance resolution process
- Evaluates recruitment requests in context of budget, operational activities as well as integration potential.
- Ensures compliance with applicable legislation and standards. Develops and implements policies and procedures for clinical services and monitor effectiveness and compliance
- Supports growth initiatives and provides leaderships throughout the development and commissioning stages.
- Supports and follows up with identifying clinical trends and assists in the development of action plans and troubleshooting resolutions. Develops a working knowledge of the electronic health records software to ensure accurate and appropriate documentation by site clinicians.
- Completes performance appraisals of Site Leaders in a timely manner and develops performance improvement plans as needed.
- As directed by the VP Resident Experience, the RED will perform other duties as assigned.
Supervision : Site Administrators
- Baccalaureate level in a related Health Sciences field is required or other relevant education, training or experience. Additional preparation at a Masters level is considered an asset.
- A minimum of five 5-8 years of senior managerial experience which includes financial and operational planning and staff supervision is required.
- At least 3 years experience working in Senior Care/Independent Living settings
- At least 3 years of experience in working in collaboration with Alberta Health Services is preferred.
- A commitment to living the Mission and Values of Covenant Care/Covenant Living
- Strong customer focus, commitment to continuous quality improvement, safety and results-oriented management style.
- Demonstrated analytical, conflict resolution, and negotiation skills.
- Proven ability in promoting a strong team environment to develop and achieve shared goals and objectives.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Flexibility in adapting to a changing environment.
- Proven planning, prioritizing and organizational skills.
- Team building, employee engagement, problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Knowledge of continuing care clinical standards and quality systems.